The Danger of Exploding Collars

Landon has a special safety message today for all of his canine pals about the danger of exploding collars – and photos of the aftermath.

There I was minding my own business.

There I was minding my own business.

Long-time readers know why we wear break-away collars (Amazon Affiliate Link), but we will do a quick recap. Many years ago, Rusty and Natasha were wrestling when Rusty’s jaw became caught in Natasha’s collar. Hu-Dad was sitting just feet away, but Rusty nearly broke his jaw and Natasha nearly choked to death before Hu-Dad could cut away the collars. In researching, Hu-Dad discovered that death by choking on regular collars is more common than you might think, so we were immediately switched to break-away collars.

There is just one problem with such collars – they break away. Yes, that is what they are designed to do, but if a certain young dog happens to break his apart while waiting on Hu-Dad, the collar can become available for entertainment purposes.

The collar exploded into pieces!

The collar exploded into pieces!

Landon did his absolute best to explain to Hu-Dad that it was a spontaneous explosion and the collar was absolutely not chewed. Despite the teeth marks. And the dog slobber. And the fact that he was caught with the collar in his mouth.

For some odd reason, Hu-Dad did not buy the story.

Come on, Big Bro, help me out here.

Come on, Big Bro, help me out here.


  1. Zoe on August 7, 2017 at 10:27 am

    Sabo the German Shepherd — Attorney at Paw here

    Hu-dad, you have wrongfully convicted my client. When the collar exploded he did his best to shield the others from injury. Now you say you found it in his mouth.. which is true, that does not, however lead to the leap in judgment that he chewed it, instead he was merely gathering pieces … after he saved everyone from the horrific accident.. and was intending to bring them to you so that you could take them to the manufacturer for a full refund.
    Due to this stain on his reputation Landon has suffered both emotionally and physically … he has had days where he could only Boom instead of his normal joyous Boom Boom
    My client, however, is forgiving and we feel some extra treats and belly rubs should correct the harm done to him.
    Thank you
    Sabo the German Shepherd
    Attorney At Paw

  2. Juno's mom on August 5, 2017 at 11:49 am

    I wondered why they have their collars on when home. My girl gets matted on her neck if I leave hers on. Cute post today. The boys are good at providing story material. ;))

  3. Laura Yager on August 5, 2017 at 10:20 am

    Landon, tell Hu dad that he should buy better quality collars! What if you were hurt in this massive explosion? Oh the travesty! You were a good boy for finding all of the pieces. Those left over remnants must have been extremely hard to collect. What a trooper you are. You brave little soldier…rest up, I’m sure your new collar is on it’s way

  4. Koda Hazel And Sue Verschneider on August 5, 2017 at 7:42 am

    They Boom Boom, Koda here…..Must have been the heat the wind the rain the cool the low humidity the high humidity that caused that spontaneous explosion. And look at you big boy cleaning up after that non Sibe involved explosion.

    Hazel looks at her momma and shakes her head in disbelief that Koda still thinks his collar exploded too in similar manner.

  5. Lori on August 5, 2017 at 7:25 am

    Oh Landon! Thank heavens you weren’t hurt in the explosion! You poor baby! That was so good of you to pick up the pieces afterward… you’re such a good boy ????

Leave a Comment

Read Another Story

← Back One Story ◊ OR ◊ Forward One Story →

Hu-Dad's Novels

His books pay for our food!