Hiking Richland Balsam

Weekends are the perfect time for hikes on all of the trails near us, but our selection dwindles in late summer as the heat builds.  We look for high altitude trails where the air will be cool.  Saturday was a perfect day to hike Richland Balsam which had temperatures in the low 60’s.

Typhoon pleased

Typhoon looks quite pleased that we made it to the top of Richland Balsam.

expressing an opinion

Kiska seems to be expressing a different opinion.

Toward the end of the loop trail, there is a place to come out above an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  It is always amusing to listen to the people below wonder how all the “wolves” suddenly appeared above them.

Q-tip enjoys

Q-tip enjoys hearing all of the comments from below.

best wolf imitation

And does his best wolf imitation.

1. Juno's mom on July 28, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I’d read somewhere that female huskies mark like males, and Juno lifts her leg to pee-mark. She also goes nuts around un-neutered males of any breed. She was probably spayed 8-9 years ago, (before I got her,) if that has anything to do with the behavior. Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Sam on July 28, 2014 at 4:07 pm

If only they would howl…

Monty and Harlow

3. Anna the GSD on July 28, 2014 at 10:59 am

Oh, trail hiking! I has only 57 days until I’ll be hiking on the BRP!! And yes, I have been called a wolf 3 times on the BRP…while wearing my backpack. What the crap people?? BOL!

4. Carolyn on July 28, 2014 at 10:25 am

My girl lifts her leg too sometimes! Doesn’t want to be outdone by my boy. LOL.

5. The Ao4 on July 28, 2014 at 9:02 am

That looks like a LOT of fun!
    And hey, Kiska! I’m a leg-lifter, too! 🙂
    Cammie!

6. houndstooth on July 28, 2014 at 8:21 am

If you’ve got it, flaunt it, right Q? It was a perfect hiking weekend for us, too!

7. jane on July 28, 2014 at 8:13 am

Isn’t it funny that so many people think huskies look like wolves? I will admit they can be similar, but most of the time the color is wrong. Huskies are my favorite breed of dogs and wolves are my favorite animal. I can see the difference. I had a lot of people tell me my husky was a warewolf and were affraid of him. I really laugh now because I now have a German Shepherd and people want to come up to him and he don’t like strangers and my husky loved people and everybody was affraid. Funny how that works. Hugs and kisses to the her.