That Other Herd

Driving on Friday evening, we passed our neighboring Herd of Big Dogs at Cataloochee Ranch.

They are some beautiful big dogs, even if they do smell a little funny.

But we also noticed something else specific about our neighbors.

Some big dogs are preparing their winter coats.

*****     *****     *****     *****     *****

1. Sagira on October 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm

That is a nice looking herd. 🙂

2. Steve & Kat on October 16, 2011 at 10:03 am

Yesterday when we were in Washington DC, I saw a member of that herd, but it had a police officer riding on top of it. What kind of dog would let a person ride it? I barked and barked a message of correction trying to bark some sense into it, but he just kept on walking. Weird.

Kat

3. Khyra on October 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Will the humans be plukhking in the spring?

Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

4. Sage on October 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Ohhhh. I wonder if you’ve got one of those wooly caterpillars there (like I found today). Maybe those horses know all about weather predictions too!

5. Pamela on October 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm

You keep an eye on that herd. They look tricky. And fast.

6. NCMountainwoman on October 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

That is a beautiful herd. I hope the thick coats are not thicker than usual. I’m ready for a milder winter over here. You guys can have all the ice and snow.

7. houndstooth on October 15, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I know which herd I’d rather feed and take care of! I’m betting the fur is about even, though!

8. Rumpy Drummond on October 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm

We sometimes see herds like that outside of town. I also like them herd of BIG dogs… Jen calls them cows.

9. Terri Jacobson on October 15, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Beautiful photos. I would love to find a herd like that.

10. Wimsey on October 15, 2011 at 11:20 am

We have those big dogs here too. I always want to say hello, but the humans don’t let me. Ours wear blankets in the cold weather so I don’t think they get a furry winter coat.

Wimsey

11. The OP Pack on October 15, 2011 at 8:36 am

Those are some very beautiful big dogs!!! Mom says she thinks we might be in for a cold winter here since we are all developing very big appetites. We don’t care if it is cold or not, just bring on the snow.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

12. Kari on October 15, 2011 at 1:50 am

I will take the grey way

Kari

Exploding Oatmeal And Broken Water Lines

June 26, 2022

The dog didn’t eat my homework, but exploding oatmeal and broken water lines sure interfered with my novel writing this week.

Mud Freckles

January 10, 2009 |

Lots of snow, lots of rain, muddy roads, four-wheel drive, and an open jeep window.  This is when a dog should not hold their head out of the window, as demonstrated by Natasha and Kodiak as they show off their Mud Freckles.